Reframing my negative thoughts

"I won't pass my OSCE in December"

Why do I think this?

"Because it's a tough examination under huge time pressure and I don't do well under 6 minute pressure"

Reframe the thought

"There is a possibility I won't pass my OSCE, but my current track record with any OSCE is 100%, formative or not. I have done lots of practice under time pressure. I have done lots of revision and I have dedicated more time and effort to this OSCE throughout this half of the year than I ever have,"

"The OSCE is not a true representation of anyone's clinical ability,"

Its a pressure cooker for 6 minutes, it's about as close a thing as we have to assessing someone's clinical skill.

"It recreates some of the pressure and anxiety we might feel as a practicing doctor in a busy a+e where we are short staffed and short of time. It would therefore be most important to be able to highlight and rule out red flags, so you don't kill someone"

Comments