GP Placements

Here in our first two years of medical school we go on about 3-4 placements a term, usually 50/50 between GP and hospitals.

This morning I had a placement in a GP surgery and a home visit. The placements we get can be very variable in terms of quality of doctor, amount of interest they have in teaching you and what you get the opportunity to do.

Today, I met a brilliant partner of a GP surgery who was at the top of her game. She showed us a few things, really let us get hands on and spent some time discussing the patients with us. She was brilliant, explained things really simply and showed us what a great doctor looks like. What I really loved and appreciated though was that she took some time at the end to ask us about us. She wanted to know our backgrounds, explored our thoughts about career prospects at a time where a lot of graduates and newly qualified's are running for the hills.

I took the time to ask her about her family life. She had two photographs up on the windowsill of a young boy and girl. I found her advice really interesting;

1. Have your first child before 30 and stop having them by 35.
2. The sooner the better; you will regret it more if you leave it too late.
3. No areas of medicine are closed to you just because you are a woman. You can do what ever you like and don't be put off by seemingly male-dominated areas.
4. Look past the usual specialties of medicine when deciding what area to go into.
5. USMLE's? Take them. Keep as many options as you can open to you.
6. I wouldn't be a GP if I couldn't have the weekends off.

Comments


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment